Thursday, July 5, 2018

Give Me...

I’m sure at some point in your life you have heard the phrase ‘Give me my flowers while I can still smell them’. Do you truly understand the meaning of those words? I used to hear my grandmother and then later, my mother say those words and wondered what they meant by them. They would also say, ‘Just live long enough and you will see what I’m talking about.’ Well, I now understand.
I am resolved to the fact that life teaches us lessons that books can’t touch. Sure there are millions of self-help books and clichés to match. So, where did it all come from? LIFE!

As I think on those words ‘Give me my flowers…,’ I can’t help thinking of the fact that so many times in our busy lives we miss what is important. NOW.  Each day we think we will have time to do those things that we didn’t do yesterday or call those people we didn’t get to call the other day. But what happens when the time we thought we had to fulfill those “I will tomorrows” turn into weeks, then months, years- and we never get around to them? Eventually, they are forgotten until, Bam! Something devastating happens. Then your memory returns. But guess what? “It’s too late!”
That is what ‘Give me my flowers…,’ mean. It is not giving real flowers in the physical sense of those words, but just doing those little things. Some things you may deem insignificant can be so momentous to someone in need. And they will remember it.
So…

To give is receipt
Give your parent/s a hug, NOW
Tell someone you love them, NOW
Give them a kiss, NOW
Brush or comb your daughter’s hair, NOW
Physically WRITE a note to your spouse, NOW
Tell her she’s beautiful, NOW
Help a co-worker you know needs help, NOW
Play catch with your child, NOW
Buy groceries for an elderly individual, NOW
Call that long-lost friend with whom you’ve been out of touch, NOW
And yes, physically “Give someone a flower,” NOW

You will see that your rewards will outnumber your regrets. Then, there will be no need for ‘shoulda, coulda, wouldas’.

Be Blessed

PJ Payne

No comments:

Post a Comment