Thursday, May 25, 2017

Mama Said...

Do you recall as a child not wanting to turn out like your parents? I think we all have at some point. But what usually happens is the very thing we fought against at a young age, comes to pass and reveals itself.  And now I am so grateful that it has come to fruition in my life.
I write colloquially or use clichés sometimes, because I have experiences that are thought-provoking and memorable. Therefore, I jot down my coffee thoughts, dubbed, ‘Coffee and Thee’.  More importantly, I had a very wise mentor who passed on many gifts and taught me so much about life, living and loving… my Mother.
There ‘were’ six of us; four girls and two boys and each could attest to the fact that our mother literally LIVED for us. She worked as a Maid for many years, and then became what they called in her days, a Beautician and a Seamstress. She toiled countless hours, sometimes throughout the night and just LOVED her coffee. It was the first thing we would smell in the mornings and the last thing at night. I was her ‘coffee-maker’ so to speak; consequently I vowed I would NEVER drink the stuff! Now, “I drink coffee and I AM my Mother’s child!” As a single mother she demanded an education from us, respect her, ourselves, and others. But first God! Proverbs 3:6 KJV In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
My mother was a woman of PLENTY words! But the thing I remember the most is that no matter what she said or how she said it, it was profound!
This is an excerpt from my memoirs - ‘Mama Said’.

Mama said- If God said it, it’s guaranteed!
Mama said- The good Lord knows jus’ what you need
Mama said- You gittin’ too big for yo britches, huh?
Mama said- Chile, don’t ever burn yo bridges
Mama said- A hard head makes a soft behind
Mama said- You might think he’s late, but he’s ALWAYS on time
Mama said- “Boy I brought you in this world, and I’ll take you out!”
Mama said- You might run, but you CAN NOT hide
Mama said- His time is NOT yo time... His way… not yo way
Mama said- Don’t worry ‘bout tomorrow, live for today
Mama said- If it don’t fit, don’t force it
Mama said- Don’t buy it, if you can’t afford it
Mama said- You ‘git’ what you give
Mama said- You only got one life to live
Mama said- God’s gonna ALWAYS carry you through
Mama said- If you make one step, He’ll make two

I remember, Mama, what you said. Your words of wisdom stay in my head. These seeds I’ve planted in my children’s head. So, they too will remember what Mama said.


PJ Payne

No comments:

Post a Comment