Monday, October 17, 2016

Petroleum

As a poet and writer, there is always something that inspires me to put on paper what's in my head. The bulk of my inspiration has come by seeing and listening to the works of some of our most renown Black Poets, namely Langston Hughes and Maya Angelou. I truly believe most writers write through inspirations and experiences. Our heritage and experiences are the stepping stones for us as black poets to articulate our movement; convey our thoughts to print. 

Sometimes I feel as though I have so much to say and if I didn't have a outlet, I'd burst wide open... my brain goes much faster than even my fingers can wrap around a pen, type on a keyboard, or even my body can move, to express what I am thinking.

I've been writing since my kids were little and always thought of it as my "Coffee and Thee" moments whereas I spent time alone with a Cup 'o Joe, my Bible or journal and my inspiration-Thee. My thoughts utter, via pen, whatever creeps into mind at that time. today it's about children, so I've dubbed this my 
Petroleum

You are my inspiration
my source of rejuvenation
The sweetener
for my cup-o-tea        
The morning coffee
I think I need
The fuel that
jump-starts my day
are your little words
that pave the way. 
Our talks - easy for me
Innocence - freely for me
Refreshing
Fulfilling
A bond so close
for you, I'm willing....

Seeing you smile
carries me that extra mile.
Throughout the day
precious memories pave the way
Encompassing and
soothing my soul
giving me peace
lightening my load 
And when I began again...

You are my inspiration
my source of rejuvenation
Petroleum


~PJPayne

No comments:

Post a Comment