Thursday, September 8, 2016

My Escape

I have always heard the term 'Experience is the best teacher.' Over the years, I didn't take that quote to heart, because when I imagined teaching I automatically relegated it to school or books. 
Those who knew me knew that I’ve always had a joyous, happy and excitable attitude about everything. Miss Positive. I saw the glass half full, instead of half empty. And that was and still is who I am. They seemed to think that I didn’t have a worry in the world… always there for the other person; a shoulder to cry on, a listening ear, a sounding board – All those things. Deep down, I HID. But, I had an escape.
Let me give you a peek into my upbringing.
I had a STRONG Mom. Single but took care of all six of her children. From the outside, you didn’t see the struggle. Her statement to us was “Never let’em see you sweat! Be steadfast stand tall in what you believe in"! I understood that completely and carried it into my adulthood and family.
Yes, just like the next fella, I had problems but just didn’t show it; didn’t carry everything on my sleeves; didn't have a permanent print of a frown on my forehead, Lol. It seems I always wanted to portray the zeal and zest for life, a renowned strength, the epitome of positivity and that’s the person I wanted to exude - to be visible to my peers.
But, deep inside
But, hidden within
But, to only my best friend
But, my bad experiences
But, to the only One I can depend
But God knows the key that unlocks my door... to my escape

“…it’s why I write”.

~PJ Payne

No comments:

Post a Comment